Questions To Ask HR Before Getting Hired

  1. I understand the company has experienced layoffs within the last two years. Can you review the reasons why they were necessary?
  2. How were the layoffs handled in terms of notification, severance, outplacement services, etc.?
  3. What rewards have you found effective in recognizing and rewarding exceptional work?
  4. Are there formal metrics in place for measuring and rewarding performance over time?
  5. How effectively has the company communicated its top three business goals?
  6. I am a hard worker, and like to be around hard-working people. Am I going to be comfortable with the level of effort I find here?
  7. Is the company’s training strategy linked to the company’s core business objectives?
  8. How does your firm handle recognition for a job well done?
  9. When was the last time you rewarded a subordinate for his or her efforts? What token of appreciation did you offer?
  10. How does the firm recognize and learn from a brave attempt that didn’t turn out quite as expected?
  11. If I were a spectacular success in this position after six months, what would I have accomplished?
  12. How much freedom would I have in determining my objectives and deadlines?
  13. How long has this position existed in the organization? Has its scope changed recently?
  14. Do you foresee this job involving significant amounts of overtime or work on weekends?
  15. What are the greatest challenges I will face in this position in furthering the agenda of the organization?
  16. Are my tasks limited to my job description, or will I be performing duties outside the described job scope?
  17. What’s the gross profit margin of the division I will be working in?
  18. What percentage of the total profit from the company does it generate? Is it increasing or decreasing?
  19. What’s your company’s “killer application”? What percentage of the market share does it have? Will I be working on it?
  20. Can you give me some examples of the best and worst aspects of the company’s culture?
  21. What makes this company a great place to work? What outside evidence (rankings or awards) do you have to prove this is a great place to work? What is the company going to do in the next year to make it better?
  22. What would I see if I stood outside the front door at five o’clock?
  23. Would people be smiling? Staying late or leaving early? Would everyone be taking work home?
  24. Lots of your competitors have great products and people programs. What is the deciding factor that makes this opportunity superior? Are you able to say any things that you will do to make this a great experience for me if I accept the position?
  25. Can you show me that the company has a diverse workforce and that it is tolerant of individual differences? Does it have affinity groups or similar programs that I might find beneficial? Is there a dress code?
  26. Can you give me an example of any “outrageous conduct” this firm tolerates the competitors would not?
  27. Does your company offer any “wow!” benefits? Does it pay for advanced degrees? Does it offer paid sabbaticals? On-site child care?
  28. Relocation packages? Mentor programs? How are these superior to those of your competitors? What about job sharing? Flex-time arrangements? Telecommuting? Workout facilities?
  29. When top performers leave the company, why do they leave and where do they usually go?
  30. When was the last significant layoff? What criteria were used to select those to stay?
  31. Does the company have a program to significantly reward individuals who develop patents/great products? Is there a program to help individuals “start” their own firms or subsidiary? Will I be required to fill out noncompete agreements?
  32. How many approvals would it take (and how long) to get a new $110,000 project idea of mine approved? What percentage of employee-initiated projects in this job were approved last year?
  33. How many days will it take for you (and the company) to make a hiring decision for this position?
  34. Who are the “coolest” people on my team? What makes them cool? Can I meet them? Who is the best and worst performer on the team, and what was the difference in their total compensation last year? Sell me on this team and the individuals on it that I get to work with. What makes my closest coworkers fun great people to work with?
  35. What is your “learning plan” for me for my first six months? What competencies do you propose I will develop that I don’t currently have?
  36. Which individual in the department can I learn the most from? What can he or she teach me? Can I meet that person? Does the company have a specific program to advance my career?
  37. Could I miss a day without your advance permission? What percentage of the people in this position telecommute? Has anyone in the group been allowed to take a month off (unpaid) to fulfill a personal interest?
  38. Give me some examples of the decisions I could make in this job without any approvals. Can you show me the degree of autonomy and control I have in this position?
  39. How many hours a week do you expect the average person on your team to work? How many hours does the average person in fact work? Are there work-life programs in place to promote a healthy work-life balance?
  40. How will my performance be evaluated? What are the top criteria you use? What percentage of my compensation is based on my performance? Is their a process where the employees get to assess their supervisor? If I do a great/bad job in the first 90 days, how, specifically, will you let me know? What are the steps you would take to help me improve? How do you discipline team members?
  41. What is the first assignment you intend to give me? Where does that assignment rank on the departmental priorities? What makes this assignment a great opportunity?
  42. How many hours of your time can I expect to get each week for the first six months on the job? How often will we have scheduled meetings?
  43. If I were frustrated about my job, what specific steps would you take to help me overcome that frustration? How about if you were frustrated with me? Can you show me examples of what you have done for others in your group in the past year to overcome any frustration?
  44. What are the “wows!” of this job? What are the worst parts? And what will you do to maximize the former and minimize the latter? If I asked the incumbent what stinks about the job, what would he or she say? Can I talk to him or her?
  45. What will make my physical work environment a fun and stimulating place to spend time?
  46. What inputs do employees get in departmental decisions? In hiring and assessing coworkers?
  47. Could I get a chance to see the team in action? Can I sit in on a team meeting? Shadow someone for a day?
  48. What are the biggest problems facing this department in the next six months and in one year? What key competencies have you identified that I will need to develop in the next six months to be successful?
  49. What do you see in me? What are my strongest assets and possible weaknesses? Do you have any concerns that I need to clear up in order to be the top candidate? What is the likelihood - maybe in percentage terms - that I’ll get an offer?

6 comments:

  1. Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.

    I also have a web site & blog about job description so I know I'm talking
    about when I say yours is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
    If you have a moment, please visit my site

    HR manager job description

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess if I ask such questions to the company .. I am bound to get kicked out !! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have scored second class in my 10th and 12th and first class in my UG.but eligibility to some leading company have a criteria as they need 60% in 10th,12and UG.what would make to help to enter in to those concern.will certification exmas will make me to break the criteria?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    Tks very much for post:

    I like it and hope that you continue posting.

    Let me show other source that may be good for community.

    Source: HR manager interview questions

    Best rgs
    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    I read this post 2 times. It is very useful.

    Pls try to keep posting.

    Let me show other source that may be good for community.

    Source: Product manager interview questions

    Best regards
    Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete